Thursday, July 22, 2010

Voodoo Doughnuts: Portland, Oregon

Portland is known for being a very "eccentric" city. One of the best examples of the Portland culture is Voodoo Doughnuts. You can visit their website at http://voodoodoughnut.com/ I had heard about this place many times previously but never visited until this morning. We decided to sample a number of different doughnuts and weren't disappointed with any of them.

Voodoo Doll
The Voodoo Doll was a yeast raised doughnut with raspberry filling and a pretzel stake through the heart. This was my personal favorite of the group for its originality and flavor.

Bacon Maple Bar
The Bacon Maple Bar is a commonly known doughnut at voodoo. I was excited about this doughnut because of the sweet and salty combination. I also love bacon so I thought it would be pretty good. Unfortunately the maple bar was EXTREMELY sweet and overpowered the saltiness of the bacon. I was a little disappointed but my aunt and cousin both thoroughly enjoyed theirs.

Glazed Doughnut
The Glazed Doughnut is a staple of all doughnut shops. We figured this would be a great way to compare the Voodoo Doughnuts to other shops. The yeast raised dough and thin layer of sweet frosting make this one of the best glazed doughnuts that I've had.

No Name
The No Name doughnut was the same yeast-raised dough as most of the doughnuts but was covered in chocolate frosting, Rice Krispies and peanut butter. This was a really well done doughnut with just the right amount of peanut butter and chocolate with a nice crunch from the Rice Krispies.

Marshall Matters
Marshall Matters was a cake doughnut covered with vanilla frosting and M&Ms. I personally didn't get to sample this doughnut but my cousin assured me that it was really good.

Portland Cream
The Portland Cream was a yeast raised doughnut filled with Bavarian cream, covered in chocolate with a couple of vanilla frosted eyes. Personally I'm not a big fan of cream filled doughnuts but this one was as good as any that I've had.

Grape Ape
The Grape Ape was one of the less conventional doughnuts on the menu. It was a yeast raised doughnut covered in grape powder and sprinkles. I enjoyed the taste of this one but it was definitely a novelty, not something that I would want to eat regularly.

Triple Chocolate Penetration
Triple Chocolate Penetration was a chocolate cake doughnut, covered in chocolate frosting with Cocoa Puffs on top. This one was actually really good and wasn't over the top like I assumed it would be with so much chocolate.

Orangutang
The Orangutang doughnut was the typical yeast raised doughnut with Tang powder and sprinkles. I thought this one would be a novelty like the Grape Ape but it was surprisingly one of my favorites of the batch. The sweet doughnut contrasted the sour punch of the tang powder to make a really good doughnut.

Chocolate Cake Doughnut
The Chocolate Cake Doughnut was another doughnut that I wanted to compare to "normal" doughnut shops. It was a cake doughnut covered in chocolate. The cake doughnut was moist and the chocolate wasn't too sweet or melted.

Overall we were very impressed with the quality of the doughnuts. We had to wait in line for about 30 minutes which wasn't particularly fun. However, we did get to enjoy some of the weird characters in downtown Portland. Our custom dozen (two were repeated so there are only 10 shown) doughnuts cost $18.75 was a little expensive but as they say, "you get what you pay for."

3 comments:

  1. Doughnuts don't really fall into my daily diet anymore but while on vacation everything is fair game. When I'm out in Sept this may have to be a requested stop. I would die for the Portland Cream and would also probably go for the No Name. Thanks for the insightful review. Great... now I need to mop up the drool.

    Question... Were they properly filled? So many times you get all dough except for one small glob of filling in one side that usually ends up catching me by surprise and I have to scrape it off my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Portland Cream was not filled very well but the Voodoo Doll was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    I am a donut fan from way back. However, I don't indulge too much anymore. They tend to stick to places that shouldn't have anything "stuck to it"...if you get my drift.
    The glazed has always been my favorite and the Voodoo variety looks especially tasty.
    This blog is totally fun and so random. I LOVE it.
    Good to hear your pithy comments, too.
    Diona

    ReplyDelete