Monday, August 16, 2010

Five Guys Burgers and Fries



Five Guys Burgers and Fries is a national burger chain. They have a pretty simple menu but we had heard that this place was really good. While waiting in line you realize that all of the decorations in the building are cutouts of newspapers and magazine articles where they've been called "best burger joint," "best burger value," and "other random burger related award."

At this point I was pretty excited. I love hamburgers so the prospect of having the BEST was making my mouth water. Unfortunately my excitement was met with disappointment.

When the burgers came out they looked good. Their "regular" burger is two quarter-pound patties. I got mine with bacon, cheese and a ridiculous amount of vegetables. The burger was fine but "fine" definitely didn't meet my expectations.

Their fries come in two variations; simply salted and Cajun. Both styles of fries are thick slices of skin-on potato. We opted for the simply salted. The portion size of fries was fairly generous but that didn't really make up for the fact that they didn't taste great. Apparently at Five Guys, "simply salted" means "doesn't taste salty at all." This is a great example of, "I don't care if its healthier if it doesn't taste good."

Overall I wasn't extremely impressed. This place probably falls somewhere in the middle of my fast food burger rankings. Maybe I didn't order the right thing, maybe they were having a bad day but either way this burger wasn't my favorite.

1 comment:

  1. I also went for the first time this past Saturday. I left with the exact same feeling. Once in a while I go a little crazy and just have to get some Junk Food. When I do it better be worth it. This time... not so much. Okay but not great. The best thing about the place was the free peanuts in the shell. If I wanted a greasy burger I would much rather go to LCs here in KC.

    ReplyDelete